The Eucharist nourishes our life of faith.
The reception of the Eucharist initiates or brings us into a closer relationship with God. Unlike Baptism or Confirmation, the Eucharist is the on-going nourishment which takes us into the Life of God and binds us together with our brothers and sisters in Love. Our nourishment in the Sacred Meal of the Eucharist is a Living Person, the Person of Jesus Christ.
Holy Eucharist or First Communion
The preparation for Holy Eucharist of First Communion is held on Sundays from 10:30am to 11:45pm. Two years of Faith Formation are required in order to received the Holy Eucharist or First Communion. For more information, contact Maria Aricapa at (516) 594-0182 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org. See registration form and requirements below.
At the Shrine Church of Our Lady of the Americas, Holy Eucharist or First Communion preparation generally occurs during second grade, although sometimes it is earlier and sometimes it is later. Our process is for children of all ages. It is always a family affair; the preparation process involves the child with parents or guardians.
Pre-K Faith Formation classes serve children 3 years old through 6 years old. Our program focuses on the teachings of the Catholic faith and traditions, through the use of music, games and other interpretative sources.
The Initiation Level is for children 6 years old or older Our program focuses on the teachings of the Catholic faith and our traditions. We strive to develop in each child a greater love of our Savior and Teacher, Jesus Christ, and an understanding of our baptismal call to discipleship.
The First Communion Level is for children with 7 years old or older that successfully completed the Initiation Level. Our program focuses on the teachings of the Catholic faith and our traditions. We strive to develop in each child a greater love of our Savior and Teacher, Jesus Christ, and an understanding of our baptismal call to discipleship.
Requirements for First Communion:
- Complete Holy Eucharist Registration Form.
- Certificate of Baptism.
- Complete at least two years of Faith Formation.
- The Shrine Church of Our Lady of the Americas offer two Faith Formation levels (Initiation level and First Communion level) in order to complete the First Communion.
- If one of the years was completed in another Parish, a letter confirming the completion of the program will be required.
- Parent or Guardians of a child who completes First Holy Eucharist must participate in the Faith Formation program. It is the responsibility of the parents to make the necessary arrangements.
- Parents must be registered members of the Shrine Church of Our Lady of the Americas or Blessed Sacrament Parish. If parents are not registered, please complete registration form here.
Faith Formation Registration Form
Please complete the registration form bellow and bring it to the Shrine office with all the documents required above.